Thursday, June 12, 2008

San Isidro

Immediate reaction - Everyone here is incredibly nice. So far 2 people have given me phone numbers in case I need anything and one other took me through San Jose to find a bus. The first woman was on the plane with me and told me her family's phone number in case I got stranded somewhere. Then on the bus from San Jose to San Isidro I met an old man named Gorgi who gave me his phone number so I have contacts in two cities now. Quite an amazing start to the trip.

The journey here was quite the experience. Firstly I arrived in the airport and all I knew was to try and find Musoc station to get a bus to San Isidro. I had also been told that the highway leading down to that city had been closed down. Well when I got out of the airport there was only one place to get busses and everyone was telling me that they just went into San Jose, so I blindly took one.

Once I got on the bus I asked the lady sitting next to me if she knew where Musoc station was and she told me that she was taking another bus that went right by it so I just had to follow her. Once I did that she told me that she thought that the road had just opened up and that busses were only leaving in the morning (it was around 2:00pm right now) so I figured I would just go ask the station guy and find out when the next bus to San Isidro would be.

Turns out the road had just opened up that day and there was a bus at 3:00pm. The bus ride was around 3 hours and Gorgi showed me a reasonable hotel to stay at.

I am now at a that hotel in San Isidro for my first night in Costa Rica. It costs about $11 per night.

Goals for the trip:
  • Learn a lot about farming
  • Figure out if working outside is really as amazing as I think
  • Play ultimate here at least once
  • See some amazing natural beauty
  • Improve Spanish

Places I want to visit

  • San Jose for a little while longer than just an hour
  • Monte Verde
  • Volcan Arenal
  • Cerre Chirripo
  • Some beach (Dominical?)

People I need to thank for helping me get this trip going

  • Mom, Dad, Ku
  • Lucy, Dave
  • Duck
  • Drew

Final thought - My Spanish is much better than I thought it was.

-Ravi

No comments: