Thursday, July 10, 2008

From the Palace to the Ruins

I left the majesty of Finca Ipe this morning and arrived at Fuente Verde. This is Derrick's project. There are about 23 Americans that want to start a community here on this amazing piece of land. Right now there is only a small kitchen house where the cook lives and then there are some tin shacks where I am staying. I seriously don't even have a floor, it is just mud and rocks down there. Don't even think about electricity here.

The place is beautiful though. I bathed today in a river with a small waterfall. There is an amazing picturesque view and you can hear tons of birds and howler monkeys all around.

I don't mind roughing it because I know I will get a lot from this experience. I just wish there was at least one peer here for me to hang out with because I fear I may go a little crazy when the work hours end and all I can do is sit around and think. WOrk here is from 6:00am to 1:00pm with a breakfast break around 8:00am. I also get lunch after work and dinner around 5:00pm.

My plan is to stay here during the week and then maybe go to Luz and Guillermo's on the weekends to hang with the family and Adrian. It may cost me 4 bucks to do that each weekend, but that is definitely worth it. In a few weeks I will be heading up to Sarchi for my final stop.

I have some thoughts about ehw hole Gringo buying up Costa Rican land thing but I will save that for a less eventful day. I also have some thoughts as to whether or not I can deal with the solitude that may come with the Peace Corps.

-Ravi

No comments: