Monday, July 14, 2008

A New Mental State

Yesterday was a sort of day of rest for me. This past week has been crazy in all sorts of ways. I have travelled somewhere new almost every day. All I did yesterday was turn some soil and shovel some compost into a green house.

Adrian and I took a walk later and stumbled upon a cool waterfall. We climbed up it and it was awesome. We are going to go back there with a camera some time later.

Today I returned to Fuente Vere and oddly enough met a familiar face at the bus station. Luis, a guy who we met on the Dominical trip, was on the same bus as me and remembered me. I guess his mom just bought him a new house. He used to live in the states and really wanted to go back, but I guess now he is cool with chilling in his home country for a while.

So I didn't really work today besides travel. However, I now find myself in a far more positive headspace than I was last week. I am really getting a lot out of this trip and am starting to realize it.

I started thinking a bit about my future today. Oddly enough this trip may be pushing me back to electrical engineering. I think that I may want to be part of a sustainable community similar to those that I have seen here. If I can be an electricity expert that would be very valuable to such a community. If I focus my study on sustainable technology and increasing the efficiency of useful products then I can do some very worthwhile work.

If the Peace Corps doesn't work out (I still haven't heard from them at all) then I may just apply for grad school. I will hopefully try and go somewhere where I can do some interdisciplinary work with sustainable agriculture and electrical engineering. I think Berkeley would be a really good fit, let's see if I can swing that this time and not chicken out like last year.

-Ravi

No comments: