Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mounding the Trees

Today was another tree planting day. I did mostly ornamentals but there were some fruit and some Indonesian Basil that I planted as well.

I learned a lesson today after getting my first criticism from my "boss" Derrick. I waqs leaving the trees with flat land around them or even with the land a little indented at times. He told me that it is very important to make sure that there is a mound of dirt around the trees. If the soil is indented it will cause a pool of water since it rains so much here in the tropics. Even if the soil is just flat, the soil can erode and cause a pool as well, so a mound is best. However, he mentioned that if I were planting in an arrid area like the desert, then you would want indentations so that the tree could hold twhatever little water that it got.

We also had a discussion about lunar cycles. He said there is a lot more to learn than the simple Tican motto of doing everything in the 4th quarter. He told me to look up some German author whose name escapes me right now. i am sure I can find it when I return to the states.

Tomorrow I start my journey towards Chirripo. Should be a good "vacation" even though it may be more strenuous than working.

-Ravi

1 comment:

Cody said...

Ravi, I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying reading about your trip -- it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself.
p.s. You are so web 2.0