Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ultimate Tournament Day 3

So the highlights and lowlights of the day were pretty much the opposite of yesterday. Lowlight with the ultimate and highlight elsewhere.

So as I said yesterday, there were 3 teams that were 3-1 on the day. This morning green and gold faced off and gold won leaving gold 4-1 and green 3-2. We lost in a not so great game against yellow which left us 3-2. Only the top 2 teams advanced to the finals so we were tied for second place with green. I was under the impression that ties would be broken with point differential, in which case we would have beaten green by a lot. However, they used the head to head and green was the one team we lost to yesterday so it was gold and green in the finals. We played red for 3rd place and won, so we got 3rd out of 6 teams.

Well before the ultimate happened we went on a rain forest hike in the morning. We left bright and early and ended up spotting some amazing birds as well as a group of spider monkeys. Of course I could not take any pictures, but all the pictures from everyone at the tournament are going to be uploaded to the web site so in time I will have some.

So the highlight for the day for me. Word had gotten around that I was robbed and for those of you who don't know the ultimate community is amazing. Garret, the founder of Costa Rica ultimate, organized a donation for me and I ended up receiving the equivalent of around 70,000 C which is more than was stolen if you don't count the camera. This made me feel really good. Carlos, the TD was very apologetic still about the camera and I told him not to worry about it. This experience of being at the first real ultimate tournament in Costa Rica was well worth the loss of a $200 camera and more.

If any of you reading this are ultimate players, I highly recommend this tournament if you have a chance. Carlos is going to have some more affordable options next year so maybe you should plan a Costa Rican vacation and make sure to leave the first weekend in July open for the tournament.

The after tournament party made me realize that I need to learn to dance Salsa and Merengue if I ever return to Costa Rica. Maybe I will grab a lesson here or make my brother teach me when I get home.

-Ravi

1 comment:

scheid said...

my first reaction after reading the day 2 post was "man, i can't believe you got robbed at an ultimate tournament. most ulti players are paragons of integrity when it comes to stuff like that"
luckily the day 3 post restored my faith in the ultimate community. i'm glad you didn't end up losing much man